Everyone knows that we should keep drinking water every day to achieve good health. Due to drinking water, the cells of our body get essential nutrients. Drinking water makes it easier to lose weight. There are many advantages to drinking enough water every day. In short, drinking enough water every day is essential for you.
But drinking water from the right glass is equally essential for you too. In our daily lives, we use regular glasses for drinking water without thinking that the standard glass from which we are drinking water is the right glass to drink water or not. So yes, it is essential to drink water from the right glass.
But how will you find the right glass to drink water? Borosilicate glass can be the right and safe choice to drink water. To know why Borosilicate glass can be a right and safe choice to drink water, you have to read this article till the end.
What is borosilicate glass?
A glass with boron trioxide and a low thermal expansion coefficient is generally called borosilicate glass. Borosilicate glass contains 15% boron trioxide, and due to this, borosilicate glass becomes thermal shock resistant. This means borosilicate glass can handle high-temperature changes without getting any damage.
As borosilicate glass has boron trioxide and gives a low coefficient of thermal expansion, borosilicate glass will never get a crack in high temperatures. Due to this, many large restaurants, labs, and hospitals use borosilicate glass because it is very durable.
Borosilicate glass is much similar to pyrex. If you want to know about the similarities between borosilicate glass and pyrex, you should read an article about borosilicate glass vs. pyrex.
What are the properties of borosilicate glass?
Borosilicate glass has many properties, and below all those properties of borosilicate glass are mentioned.
- As you read above, borosilicate glass contains 15% of boron trioxide, and it is a low coefficient of thermal expansion due to which borosilicate glass can handle rapid temperature changes.
- If you cover hot borosilicate glass in cold water, then the exterior of borosilicate glass gets rapidly cool; meanwhile, the interior of borosilicate glass will remain warm. Means borosilicate glass is a poor conductor of heat.
- Borosilicate glass has a low coefficient of thermal expansion because the borosilicate glass also contains boric acid, due to which borosilicate glass will not expand if the borosilicate glass is heated or cooled.
- The chemical formula of borosilicate glass usually contains 81% percent silicon dioxide and 15% boron trioxide. Borosilicate glass also includes a minor amount of sodium oxide and aluminum oxide.
What are the uses of borosilicate glass?
Borosilicate glass gets in use in many ways. Below some uses of borosilicate glass are mentioned.
- Glassware for the laboratory: As you know from above, borosilicate glass is durable and can handle rapid temperature changes. This makes borosilicate glass the right glass that can be used in the laboratory. In the laboratory, borosilicate glass gets into use as glassware or labware.
- In the kitchen: Borosilicate glass also gets in use in the kitchen as cookware and bakeware. Borosilicate glass gets into use in the kitchen as cookware and bakeware because of its thermal properties. A kitchen product named “borosilicate cookware” is getting into use in the kitchen. You can take out borosilicate cookware from a hot oven to a cool place without thinking that borosilicate cookware will get cracked or shattered.
- In electronics: In the semiconductor manufacturing business, borosilicate glass binds silicon wafers to etched borosilicate glass for contemporary electronics.
Is borosilicate glass a toxin or a safe component?
Borosilicate glass is non-toxic, like ordinary glass. Pyrex uses borosilicate to create heat-resistant glass jar, bottle, and cookware. The material does not leak out like plastic bottles and another BPA-containing packaging, food, and drink from borosilicate containers often tastes better.
Borosilicate glass is BPA free and due to this, borosilicate glass is suitable for drinking glasses. True borosilicate glass is safer than tempered soda-lime glass, which many businesses in the cookware industry now use.
What are the health benefits of borosilicate glass?
Below some benefits of borosilicate glass are mentioned.
- Glass made of borosilicate glass is safer than soda-lime glass that has been tempered. Borosilicate is strong enough to compete with plastic, yet it’s free of phthalates and BPA, which are harmful pollutants. When ingested, BPA causes significant health problems, particularly in toddlers and newborns. Hormone levels, brain function, and prostate function can all be affected by it.
- Borosilicate glass helps in sustainability by preventing plastic waste from entering landfills, which is excellent for the environment. Because plastic pollution is a serious and rising danger to human health, utilizing a borosilicate glass jug or bottle is an environmentally beneficial option.
- Borosilicate glass is easy to clean and maintain. Many different materials are challenging to keep clean. Borosilicate glass’s anti-stick and nonporous surface make the cleaning a lot easier.
Should I use a borosilicate glass water jug or bottle instead of using regular glass?
The benefit of borosilicate glass is that it has all of the benefits of glass without any of the drawbacks. The use of borosilicate is beneficial to the environment. It’s strong enough to compete with plastic, yet it’s free of phthalates and BPA, which are harmful pollutants.
Is buying a borosilicate glass a good investment?
Borosilicate glass is worth the extra money for the massive majority of people. As you got to know from above, you get lots of advantages if you use borosilicate glass. Borosilicate is used in several beautiful borosilicate glass bodies. Borosilicate stays incredibly long-lasting and won’t leach any harmful chemicals into your crystal-clear drinking water.
Because borosilicate glass is more bendable than regular glass, you can create more intricate forms with it. Some manufacturers make vacuum insulated containers out of borosilicate glass to keep your drinks warm or cold.